questions to ask?

questions to ask?

Postby Darren » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:07 pm

Hi,

Thanks for creating this website.

Which questions should I be asking fitters (4 windows and a backdoor). We asked 5 fitters to come (I left an hour gap between each one)
One failed to even turn up, the others majored on different things.. (all K glass)

Eg.

1) B-rated as standard - argon filled, composite inner-frame (stronger than steel apparently), 5 chamber assembly. FENSA approved.

2) C-rated as standard - free chrome handles, steel inner-frame, shoot-bolts, anti-crowbar jamming wedges on hinge side, 3 chamber assembly, CERTASS (no FENSA), mesh in door panel

3) C-rated as standard - aluminium inner-frame, 5 chamber assembly, FENSA

What's the most important questions I should be asking, in order to compare the different quotes please?

Darren
Darren

Re: questions to ask?

Postby doubleg2 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:43 pm

Hi Darren

You have done the right thing by getting a nice array of quotes. "C" rated as standard is a legal requirement since October so I would expect that from all window installers. "B", in my option, does not save that much money (Check the calculator on my site).

CERTass is just as good as FENSA (you need one OR the other) so don't be put of by that.

The real question is have you seen a sample window from all of the companies, which one do you prefer the look of? Also have you seen any installations, the window is important but the way it is fitted in just as important. Ask to see a local installation.

Hope this helps
doubleg2
Site Admin

One last question...

Postby Darren » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:50 am

Does the number of 'chambers' matter - most have 3 and Steel or aluminium reinforcement...
But the B rated windows have 5 chambers and 'composite' (stronger than steel) reinforcement in the frame?

D
Darren

Postby doubleg2 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:28 pm

I have been involved in hundreds of thermal simulations and generally 3 vs 5 chamber makes very little difference. Composite reinforcing does however, steel creates a thermal bridge that transfers heat and composite reinforcing does not. Composite reinforcing is still in its infancy and windows are not load bearing so the reinforcing is only designed to stop twisting and expansion over runs and for screwing the hinges/handles etc into, the jury is still out on the perforce of composite reinforcing for this purpose. Most companies that use steel overcome the thermal transfer problem with a slightly higher glass spec.

Hope this helps
doubleg2
Site Admin

Postby Darren » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:59 pm

Thank you

(the product is Profile 22)

D
Darren

Return to General Information or Questions