Postby The Window Expert » Tue May 11, 2010 3:59 pm

If you have any questions post them here and i will answer ASAP

Regards

The Window Expert
The Window Expert

Re: Any Questions

Postby Tom1 » Fri May 28, 2010 10:34 pm

Hi

I have had a quote for new windows, the company say their windows don't have shootbolt and I don't need them as their windows are secure without them, is this the case?

Many Thanks

Tom
Tom1

Postby doubleg2 » Fri May 28, 2010 10:47 pm

Hi Tom

The answer is absolutly not, shootbolt are an essential part of a secure PVC window, they lock the sash into the outerframe at the top and bottom so they can be prised open with a crowbar, remember the cost price for a shoot bolt is about £4 a sash, so if they are cutting back on important things like security what else are they cutting back on?

The Window Expert
doubleg2
Site Admin

Postby Darren » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:10 pm

Which questions should I be asking fitters (4 windows and a backdoor). We asked 5 fitters to come (I left an hour gap between each one)
One failed to even turn up, the others majored on different things.. (all K glass)

Eg.

1) B-rated as standard - argon filled, composite inner-frame (stronger than steel apparently), 5 chamber assembly. FENSA approved.

2) C-rated as standard - free chrome handles, steel inner-frame, shoot-bolts, anti-crowbar jamming wedges on hinge side, 3 chamber assembly, CERTASS (no FENSA), mesh in door panel

3) C-rated as standard - aluminium inner-frame, 5 chamber assembly, FENSA

What's the most important questions I should be asking, in order to compare the different quotes please?

Darren
Darren

Postby doubleg2 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:43 pm

Hi Darren

You have done the right thing by getting a nice array of quotes. "C" rated as standard is a legal requirement since October so I would expect that from all window installers. "B", in my option, does not save that much money (Check the calculator on my site).

CERTass is just as good as FENSA (you need one OR the other) so don't be put of by that.

The real question is have you seen a sample window from all of the companies, which one do you prefer the look of? Also have you seen any installations, the window is important but the way it is fitted in just as important. Ask to see a local installation.

Hope this helps
doubleg2
Site Admin

Postby Darren » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:17 am

Thank you!
Darren

Return to General Information or Questions